Sunday, June 27, 2004

My First Flat, and the Magical iPod

Update from the last few days...

Last Wednesday at our swim GTS I had a major technique breakthrough. I think I might actually *get* the 2-beat kick. I'm psyched to practice on my own - will go to the pool at Eastern Athletic after work tomorrow.

Saturday morning our GTS time changed to 7:30. Yes. AM. In Central Park. I woke up at 5:40 and lugged my bike on the subway into Manhattan. The workout was to be 2 loops around the park (~6 miles each), then a 30 minute time trial (TT) of the lower loop (1.7 miles). Coach Scott explained that a time trial meant we were to repeat the loop at our fastest sustainable pace for the allotted time.

Off we went. I biked with Kari and Melissa. At one point, a man riding near me pointed out that my back tire needed air. When I had an opportunity, I asked Kari if she had a pump (I hadn't brought mine). She did, and happily pulled over to help. Well. We had no idea how to use her pump with the valve on my tire, and within seconds we had succeeded in completely flattening the tire. I told Kari to continue her workout, and I walked back to the TNT fountain to find a coach. Fortunately Assistant Coach George was there and happy to help. We changed the tire as though it were a flat - effectively, I had my own private flat tire clinic! I still had time to complete the 30 minute TT (I did 4x around the lower loop in about 26 minutes).

Our scheduled solo workout for today (Sunday) was a 50-minute run. After a 2-hour nap this afternoon, I strapped on my brand new pink iPod mini (a birthday present from David) and set off to run around the park. I completed the whole 3.35 mile loop in (drum roll, please!) 34 minutes. I know! I was shocked. It was all about the music. Since I finished in such record time, I continued running and did part of the inner loop, to add on 11 minutes. I *booked* on that run. I'm really psyched about it.

2 Comments:

At 12:18 PM, Blogger Chad R West said...

Ahh yes, music is a great way to help you keep your mind off of exercising and even help pick up your pace! Rage against the machine always works well for me. :)

I think I should get Nicole an iPod or other mp3 player. Is there a special sport attachment for that?

Btw, as you know now, it's probably a good idea to pick up a frame pump. You don't want to be out in the middle of nowhere with a flat. I've been there before and believe me it's no fun. The Topeak blaster is solid and light, they also make a all in one tool with is pretty cool too.

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger Gillian said...

Thanks for the pump tip! I'm actually thinking about getting C02 cartridges for the race, because they're light. I have a frame pump that fits under my crossbar, but when it's there I can't easily carry my bike up and down stairs (see: subways, 4th floor walkup!). So... I leave it at home.

The iPod is wonderful. David also bought me the arm band which I found is great for running.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home